Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Back to work (3-13)

Kasey and I returned to Chengdu on February 25. The flights went well. I was pleasantly relieved when the man at customs stamped my passport without asking any questions, since I had to choose “other” as the purpose of my visit.

Since nothing was happening at the university yet, I was able to relax at home for a few days. Friday I ventured out to buy some food. Shops were starting to open again after the Chinese New Year/Spring Festival holiday. About half of the vendors were at the market. By the following week, all students were back and the shops and markets were open.

Classes for English majors started on March 2; those for non-English majors started the following week. I had spoken to Dean Qiu about my need to have some English major classes, as I really don’t like the large classes (60 or more students) that non-English majors have. I said I could have some of the latter, but I needed to have some of the former as well. He told Hannah to give me only English majors this term. When she gave me the same classes I had last term, which included one class of Automotive Engineering majors, he told her to change it. I would have been fine with that, especially since it was the same class I had before. So I inherited a class of sophomore English education majors that I had last year. Hannah said they were happy when she told them I would be their teacher again.

There are three new interns. Sigve is not back, as his contract negations were not completed by the department head. The new ones are young (20, 21, 23), and everyone comments on that. One is American, one is Italian but has lived in England half his life, and one is French. Two are women, which is a nice change. As I had anticipated, Julie, the French woman, is very popular since students love France and Paris and since she is enthusiastic and beautiful. She has been dubbed “beautiful” while Sam, the American, is “cute.” Although I have never exuded with enthusiasm, I enjoy watching theirs.

As usual, the waiban did not prepare for the new foreign teachers. Omar is in one of the dorm rooms with no fridge, hot plate, washing machine or wardrobe. Sam was told to give him her fridge and she and Julie are to share one even though they are in separate rooms. The waiban had asked for four to six new interns, but they never know how many they’ll get until just before the semester begins. So they don’t plan ahead. Why prepare a new room if an additional teacher doesn’t come? Sam said her room still has long hairs in the bathroom from when Megan was here two years ago. Cleaning is not up to Western standards, and the men who have used the room apparently didn’t care.

We had the first English Corner this week. As always, all of us foreign teachers participated in the first one. We will rotate for the rest of the term and have only six more each. As I had predicted, Julie was the most popular and had the largest group. Mine was the usual size—eight to ten. Paul’s group was smaller than usual, as students wanted to meet the new teachers. I find it interesting to observe the patterns.


As happened last year, more students are coming to office hours. In addition to Ann and Abby, who came regularly last term, two others joined them. When we finished two more showed up, but I had to send them away because another girl had made an appointment. Mimi wanted to see me alone; so we walked and talked, which was a nice way to spend our time together. When I returned to the office, the girl who had failed the final exam and the class arrived with her friend/translator because she had retaken an exam with a Chinese teacher who told her to talk to me. I guess that means she failed again. She is weak in listening and speaking and is afraid to try to talk. Neither of the last two has returned, but both have moved to the front of the class and smile at me.

The university now has campus-wide wi-fi. However, it has not yet been installed in our building. We will have wired Internet rather than wi-fi. Thursday the men were here making lots of noise and putting cables in the hall ceiling. So the process has begun. In the meantime, we have to go to the office to use the Internet, which is a hassle. It’s now working well there most of the time, but it’s just inconvenient to have to plan to go there. I much prefer the convenience of working at home when I want to.

There is a big, new supermarket. It will give competition to the smaller one on Student Street, as it has more products and variety. The café that was there has been moved to the side and is one-third the size it was.








I have now told the important people—foreign teachers, Yang, Michelle, Mr. Huang, and Hannah—that this will be my last semester. Since these are my friends as well as colleagues, I wanted to tell them in person. It’s good to have that done. I have also told Bennie, who responded by telling me how much she respects me and how important I am to her. I was very moved by what she said. Parting will be difficult when I leave, as she has also been important to me.

Weather is getting warmer. The two Sundays have been warm and sunny with some blue sky. I walked around the campus taking photos of the flowering trees. I love them, and this is the last time I’ll experience them here. Bitter sweet.

































































Sunday was International Women’s Day. On Friday there were display boards for the occasion. 










One advertised “Girls’ Day.” The girls could get in line to win a prize. They were very pleased that only girls—and not boys—could participate. I joined the line after a few people said I should. The first step was drawing “no” or “pass.” I got “pass,” which meant that I could spin the wheel and get a prize. I won a cup, which pleased the girls.

Remnants of Chinese New Year are still around. 






















































Also a few remnants of Christmas, since the two seem to be merged here in terms of decorations.



No comments:

Post a Comment