Saturday, May 17, 2014

Recent Events (5-18)

Last week Dale and I were asked to attend a special lunch for a visiting American. As usual, Dale was called and then he texted me to see if I was available. I still find myself feeling a bit irritated that they can’t call me, too. My response was “Free delicious food. Sure.” These special lunches always have a huge quantity of delicious food, and this lived up to our expectations. 



One special, new-to-me dish was eel with large pieces of chili peppers that don’t affect the flavor of the eel and green beans. However, when I put a green bean in my mouth, it exploded. It was a green chili that looked like a green bean. The American beside me agreed. I think it’s not fair to use green chilis that I can’t recognize and remove. Another special dish that I didn’t eat because it looked like bits of meat turned out to be pigeon stomach. When Dale commented that it was tough, he was told what it was.

The special guest was from Pacific Lutheran University and was here to discuss an exchange program. They have one with Sichuan University, and this school seems to want to emulate that one, which is the best university in the province and one of the best in the country. I was seated beside him (Dale was beside the president, as usual.); so I was able to chat with him a bit between conversations with the administrators in Chinese, as the man is fluent in Mandarin. The exchange program would involve both teachers and students. One student program has students study the school’s curriculum here for two years and then go to the Tacoma campus for two years. I don’t know what she was saying, but the Waiban director was clearly talking about me at one point. I don’t mind being on display when the food is delicious and this was extra nice since the man speaks English and I got to chat with him. It was also fun to have a companion taking photos of the food.

April has left. We had a last lunch at our favorite eggplant restaurant. I miss having her here to get together with on weekends and to talk with, but I totally agree that leaving was what she needed to do.












After our discussion group on Monday, Bennie told me I was dressed to kill. I wasn’t wearing anything I thought was special, but it was sweet of her. I think she doesn’t know how the expression is really used. The girls then said many students in their class like the way I dress. That outfit turned out to be quite popular, as the teachers and a few other students also commented on it.









Yang and I were talking about her grandmother’s recent death. I learned that it is traditional to mourn for seven weeks. During that time, paper money is burned every day to send wealth to her spirit.

Wednesday night I went with Grace to a student performance. This one was put on by the various student associations/clubs. She enjoyed her special status as my companion, as we got to sit in the front row because I am a foreign teacher. It was nice to be able to “give” her that treat. As always, I enjoyed the show. 





We especially enjoyed the wedding dress fashion show.











Saturday I went to the new Ito Yokado, an upscale Japanese department store. April had given me a card to the food court there, and I wanted to check out the grocery section. I bought some packaged sushi, which is a treat. Also a small cup of crème brule. I’ll return for both of those. Food is all I’ll be buying at that store, as clothing and other items are quite expensive. I looked at an umbrella I liked, and the price was 398 yuan ($66). Even though the attendant told me it was only 300 that day, I passed on it. 

In the restroom, I ended out in a family stall. It had a miniature toilet as well as a holder for a baby and a fold-down changing table.










At the shop outside Carrefour, I had a new battery put in my watch. I was given a choice of Japanese or Swiss. I was so surprised I didn’t know what to do; so I stuck with Japanese. (cost 20 yuan/$3.30)

Both Carrefour and Ito Yokado have a section decorated for the upcoming Dragon Boat Festival where the special foods, such as 100-year-old eggs, are sold. 









Carrefour’s hanging dragons are especially nice.















Yang took me to the local hospital with my stool sample for the Peace Corps Close of Service physical exam. (Cost for three lab tests: 60 RMB/$10) We took a bar code from a machine; one part was put on the bottle and one was for collecting the results. When my number came up, we went to the machine that read the bar code and then printed the results. Very efficient and no doctor needed. The other work was done at the Peace Corps office and at the nearby hospital (mammogram and hearing test) that is the largest in Chengdu. It has several large buildings with escalators between the floors. The signs were in Chinese, but even with English signs I would have been lost without my Peace Corps guide.







No comments:

Post a Comment