Sunday, January 5, 2014

December Bits and Pieces (12-31)

In addition to Christmas-related activities, there were several other events this month. First was Dale’s birthday. We had dinner at an Italian pizza place April and I had been to. They also have Western dinners, and a few of us had chicken. When we returned home, we had cake here. It was a fun evening.

I was surprised to learn that winter solstice is celebrated in China. Some students who live in or close to Chengdu went home for the special dinner featuring mutton. Mutton is eaten because sheep have wool that keeps them warm and eating it will keep people warm for the cold season.

Speaking of keeping warm, that has been a challenge. I now have three lined, stretch sweatshirt fabric tops. These are snug on the body and keep me warm. I also have leg warmers and lined tights. And I’ve succumbed to wearing lined boots, which are my latest purchase. I knew they were worth the money when I wore them to class and, for the first time this month, my feet weren’t freezing after an hour. All the new layers keep me warm in the unheated classrooms. I’ve realized that it doesn’t matter what clothes I wear because we never take off our coats and seldom unzip them these days. Temperatures have been in the 40s and up to the 50s some days in the afternoon. Without heat, that’s cold for standing or sitting in class.

My other addition for the purpose of keeping warm is my hot water bottle hand warmer. It heats electrically and stays warm for a couple hours. I took it to class for final exams so I could take turns warming my hands while students talked. Sometimes I take it to bed with me for a last minute hand and chest warming before going to sleep. It’s one of my favorite things.



On the way home from the buffet dinner on Christmas Eve, we passed the Global Mall. Our driver pulled over so we could take photos of it lit up for night. When I got home, I looked it up on the Internet and learned that it is the largest free-standing building in the world. April and I decided we had to see it. So, on Saturday after our Christmas lights trip, we went to Global Mall. 



Since we arrived before 10:00, the stores weren’t open yet. So we had to go to Starbuck’s, which is conveniently open for early arrivers, for April’s morning coffee. I had a hot chocolate and cinnamon roll, both of which were delicious.







When the mall opened, we went to the top—the fifth—floor to start walking around. In addition to seeing the mall, we were also on a last quest for Christmas decorations. Some stores had trees, and there were a couple trees in central areas. 












The hanging mobile in the center featured snowflakes, presents, and parachuting Santas. 















The mall is beautifully decorated. There are many large vases of artificial flowers. 















On the bottom floor, there’s a water park. We looked at it only from outside, as there’s an entrance fee. After two hours, it was time to leave, as we were meeting Jane for lunch. So we didn’t see the whole mall, but we saw enough to know what it’s like.







On the way to meet Jane, we made a quick stop at Tianfu Square to see if there were Christmas decorations there. There weren’t, but there was a huge 2014 in the street; so it was worth the trip. It was also worth the trip because April hadn’t been there before. 






Jane’s daughter and two of her tourism students joined us for lunch. Of course, it was huge. We had Beijing duck, shrimp, broccoli, and other dishes. The most unique was one that April selected: chicken and duck. It wasn’t what she expected from past experience. The dish had half a chicken on one side and a bowl with duck tongues standing up on the other. I tried a duck tongue out of curiosity and found it tough with not much meat; so I didn’t eat it.


Jane’s daughter is a high school junior at an IB school that sounds prestigious from the way Jane talks about it. Chloe speak English very well and hopes/plans to go to the U.S. for university. Her first choice is Cornell.

After lunch, we were off to meet the Wangs for their son’s birthday. (Dale was unable to join us because he was ill.) The party was at a nice karaoke place. The building has five floors of karaoke rooms. We had been told to meet them at 1:00, but April changed it to 2:00 because of the lunch with Jane. So we thought we’d be there for only three of the four hours that rooms are rented for. Not the case. When the birthday cake was served just before 5:00, it became clear that we were there till 6:00. I’m not sure why we were to be there an hour early, but I’m glad we changed it. This was the nicest karaoke place I’ve been to. The room was large with comfortable seats. The videos were good and were interesting to watch. So I was able to stay interested for a few hours. But four is too long for me. It’s not my favorite thing to do, but this occasion helped me see how it is a good activity for a group of people spending time together. Wang Ji had two of his good friends and a cousin with him for the occasion, and two mothers were also there. Most of the singing was done by the adults, but Wang Ji got into it, too. April and I were given a small, framed shadow puppet.

After karaoke, we all went to dinner. Another large, delicious meal—our third for the weekend. A special dish was a special fish served for the new year. I don’t remember why it’s special for this occasion.








Students--mostly freshmen--in each department have been having new year’s shows. April and I went to the one put on by the computer technology department. She, Dale, and I went to the show for the foreign language department on New Year’s Eve. For that one, we were seated in the front row with the special guests. The shows consist of dancing—modern and traditional, singing and short skits. It’s fun to see the students demonstrating their talents.


Final exams will be finished on Friday. Thus ends another semester.











No comments:

Post a Comment