Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Zhangjiajie National Park (8-13)

I arrived in Zhangjiajie city Sunday night after a 6.5-hour train ride. According to the Internet site, it was supposed to be only 5 hours. So I was more than ready to arrive. I was greeted by Grace, my guide for the next several days. I had decided to book a guide and tour to maximize my time in the area so I could see all the highlights. Grace is a pleasant young woman who has been a guide for two years. She and the driver delivered me to my hotel. Then I went out to find a place to eat, which was not easy in that area of the city. After walking around the block, I saw a man on the street cooking fried rice. He also had noodles, which looked pretty good. So I ordered fried noodles and took them back to my room.

Monday morning Grace and the driver picked me up at 7:00 to go to Zhangjiajie National Park. It is the first national park in China, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and is the location of the scenery used in Avatar. Since I was spending the next two nights in a village on top of the mountain, we left my big bag at a restaurant near the park entrance to be carried up later. Someone from the company picked it up and it was delivered to my room at about 6:00. 

For the next 2.5 hours we walked along Golden Whip Stream, which is a 6 km walk. It’s a lovely walk through a forest along the stream with occasional views of the rock peaks the park is known for. 




























In one area there are trees that are a species of sequoia. They have tall, straight, red trunks but the leaves are different from the ones in the U.S. Since it’s in the forest along the stream, it was a pleasantly cool walk. The stream is named after a rock formation that is called the Golden Whip because when the sun shines on it, it is golden.










When we passed a rock overhang with sticks between the ground and the rock, such as I’ve seen many places, Grace explained that the sticks have two purposes: old people put them there so they won’t have back problems, and young people put them there so they will find a mentor to help them in their profession. I hadn’t heard those explanations before.

Next was elevator up to the top. It’s the world’s highest elevator and ascends 360 meters in 1:58, just under two minutes. The alternative is to walk up, which I learned later takes about four hours. The lift was included in my tour; so that’s what we did. 












Since this is the peak season, I had been told that the wait in line would be one to two hours. It was an hour and a half. This was, of course, a Chinese-style line, meaning it was a mass of people pushing together most of the time. Knowing the wait would be long, I had taken my Kindle along. At one point, the crowd was so dense that I could hardly hold it in front of me to read. Then I think people noticed that I was reading and I was given a little more space. But when the line/mass moved, every ten minutes, there was a push to move farther ahead. We went up and then turned and went up more. Then we entered a very long tunnel. Eventually the mass was channeled and divided into three lines, which means the mass was only two people across. 

Finally, we got to the elevators. I was really lucky and was at the front of the line at that point. That meant that when we got into the elevator, I was up front against the glass. When it lifted above the cement shaft, we had our first view of the magnificent scenery and were at eye level as we ascended. I met Grace at the top. As a guide, she could go through the special channel and didn’t have to wait in line; she just had to wait for me. When I was in the tunnel, she found me and said she’d stay with me. Since I knew she was very tired and didn’t need her with me, I sent her on ahead so she could rest a bit.

Altitude at the top of the mountain is 1300 meters/4265 feet. I did well with that and had no problems walking around.

When I reconnected with Grace and took a few photos, she told me that that wasn’t the scenic area. Could have fooled me—and a bunch of others. We walked along the scenic area path for an hour and a half. It was truly magnificent. There are a number of scenic viewpoints where people went to take photos. After the initial crowd from the elevator spread out, these were the only places that were crowded. I let Grace take photos of me at a few of them. One would have been adequate, but the Chinese like to have a photo everywhere; so I let her do that. 

Two of the viewpoints had models of Avatar characters: a green man and a bird. People could pay to stand next to them for a special photo. I didn’t do that. The names of some of the formations have been changed to those used in the movie.
















One pavilion has lanterns made from business cards left by South Korean tourists. Grace said they are the largest group of foreign tourists. Zhangjiajie is so popular among South Koreans that there are direct flights from Seoul during the peak season.






I really like rock formations in general; so I loved these. Although they are different, they reminded me of Bryce and Zion. Bryce is one of my favorite places—looking up at the huge formations in Zion and looking down from above and up from below at the numerous formations in Bryce. I did both in Zhangjiajie.





As the afternoon went on, it was apparent that Grace was not feeling well and was fading. She finally admitted that she wasn’t only tired but she had a headache and stomachache. After delivering me to my hotel, she went back to town to go to the hospital to see a doctor. She was told to stay home and rest for at least two days.

Before Grace left, I asked if there was a place to take a walk in the evening, thinking I’d rest in the room for a couple hours and then take a walk. She told me about the Great Sightseeing Platform and then insisted on walking me there, since it was only twenty minutes away. She could have drawn a diagram, as it was a straightforward route, but she felt responsible for making sure I got there and knew the way back. Since I was there, I stayed. After a few minutes, it started to rain. We had heard thunder and noticed rain in the distance. It rained lightly for half an hour. This was the first rain in the area for over 40 days. Grace had shown me a picture of dried corn stalks due to the drought. I’d seen some from the train but hadn’t realized that they were dried out because of the lack of rain.

When the rain stopped, I walked to another scenic view down—and back up—many steps. Then it was sunset time. I sat at the top and watched the shadows going up the rocks for a while. It was lovely and relaxing.













Back in the village, I stopped at a small place to eat before returning to my room. When I was looking at a woman cooking and thinking about eating there, a young woman came up and spoke English clearly and told me they have an English menu. So, of course, I had to stay. She is a university student who had just finished her first year of studying medicine. Another young woman joined us who had just finished her first year studying nursing. I enjoyed chatting with both of them.

Tuesday morning I woke up early and decided to walk back to the Great Sightseeing Platform, which is described as the best place for viewing the sunrise. It was 6:50; so I knew that the sun was close to rising above the mountain, but it was late for the actual sunrise. When I arrived and sat on the wall, the woman who sells fruit there greeted me and gave me a plum. She indicated that the sun would come out soon. (It was behind a big cloud. I went down a little lower to a place I’d picked out Monday night and sat on the steps to watch the sun appear. One of the first viewpoints on Monday was Lose Yourself, named because you can lose yourself when you look at the view. However, it was difficult to lose oneself when juggling among the crowd for a viewing position. But sitting alone on the steps, it was easy to lose myself in the quiet and beauty.

When I returned to the guesthouse, I ate breakfast and waited for Sunny, my new guide. Sunny will graduate from university next year with a major in English. She hopes to be an interpreter; her second choice is tour guide. She is a pleasant young woman, and I enjoyed the day with her. Her boyfriend is a classical Chinese painter. He wants to go to graduate school but did not do well on the English part of the entrance exam. Not that English is important for a classical Chinese painter. He eventually wants to teach painting.

At 9:00, we left for our destination for the day: the Yangjiajie section of the park. It’s a large area in a different part of the mountaintop than we were on on Monday. Sunny said we were going to Wulong Village, which is one sector of Yangjiajie. It was named for a village in the TV serial Journey to the West, a classic Chinese tale about a monkey, a monk, and pig going on a journey.



Grace had told me that it would be a challenging day with lots of walking up and down stairs. And it was. We walked up and down and up and down all day.














We visited several viewpoints, some of which were an hour apart.





































In one place, the path went up a narrow rock staircase between two cliffs. It was a one-way path, as people had to go single file. The path down was so narrow that we barely fit across it.






We went up two rock peaks by strong metal ladders attached to the rocks. They went pretty much straight up. They were very firm and not as bad to climb as they looked from a distance. 




























The second one was called One Step to the Heaven. I think it means that you are closer to heaven from the top of the peak. But I couldn’t help thinking that one misstep over the side would put one in heaven. The areas were very well fenced; so it would be difficult to have such a misstep.
























We encountered a few monkeys along the way. One was sitting next to a rest area where food is readily available. A girl walking to the area dropped her plastic bag and the monkey immediately walked over and picked it up. A young man made a lot of noise and waved his hat, and the monkey dropped the bag and left. Another monkey was next to the path near a viewpoint. It became a little aggressive toward a boy taking its photo from a good distance, like the one in Malaysia did to me last year.







In some places in the forest we could hear a lot of cicadas. They were especially loud in the last section we walked through on the way out. When we emerged from the forest after being surrounded by the sound, it seemed eerily silent.












It was a very hot day again. With the walking up and down all day and the heat, I was ready for a rest when we returned to the guesthouse at 3:30. A shower would have been nice, but the water in the village was turned off most of the time due to the water shortage resulting from the drought. Tuesday we had water from 6:00 to 9:00 PM; Wednesday there was water only from 6:00 till 8:00. There was a bucket in the bathroom to hold water for the rest of the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment