Friday, May 31, 2013

Random Bits and Pieces (5-31)

Not a time of photogenic activities; so I've included some photos of flowers in bloom now.

I had my first Chinese massage. I’ve seen two new massage places recently in the shopping area near the school. One Saturday afternoon I was on my way to the snacks store to replenish my supply of chocolate covered toffee, and I passed one of the new massage places. Since I’ve been needing one, this was perfect. The woman was very good. She started on my head and then worked on the shoulders. From there she went down the front of the body. There was a lot of slapping and deep pushing. Then she did the back side. After that, she asked if I wanted my stomach massaged, which I hadn’t had happen before. At the end, she worked on my shoulders some more and another woman came to work on them. Interestingly, she didn’t massage my feet, which is included in the other Asian massages I’ve had. When she finished, they drew the curtains and put a blanket over me and let me rest on the table for fifteen minutes. When I was finished, she told me that my shoulders were in bad shape. At least, I think that’s what she was saying, as she pointed to them and talked, and it certainly was the case. I’ll be going back there; so I hope the business stays for a while. Cost for one hour: 40 yuan ($6.50).

Early summer fruits are in and they are delicious. Two weeks ago I had to have some cherries. I’d seen them at the market and they looked beautiful and delicious. So I had to have some. I was a surprised at the cost: 50 yuan ($8.30) for about half a kilogram. I guessed that the price sign was for about 100 grams, not the usual half kilo. When I asked Diao Min, she explained that sometimes for very expensive items, they list the price for one-tenth of the usual half kilo (50 grams).  But they were so tasty that I bought a small amount more later. Lychees are also at the market, although in very small quantities. They, too, are expensive (as they were in Thailand) but not as expensive as cherries. Mangoes are good now. I had bought a few earlier that weren’t very nice, but now they’re delicious. Peaches have arrived, too. They’re the kind that are white inside and are sweet. It’s fun to eat cherries and peaches after seeing the trees in bloom when I arrived.

A few weeks ago I started to think that maybe I should work on a “Chinese” identity. The clothes I brought with me are Thai. I love them, but they are starting to feel a little out of place. I started thinking about setting aside my “Thai-ness” and moving on. Now that warm weather is here, I’m seeing a lot of skirts that I like. I really didn’t see much that I liked before. The skirts I like are simple, mid-calf length, not the usually frilly, above-the-knee ones that are common but not suitable for me. Last week I found one I like at the night market and purchased it. Students and Yang liked seeing me wear it. Monday night a student asked me about wearing Chinese clothes. I pointed out that the skirt I'd worn that day was Chinese, the pants and t-shirt I was wearing were Chinese, and the shoes were Chinese made even though they were purchased in America. Pretty Chinese, I think. When I asked what was Chinese, she didn't have a quick answer. Her skirt was what I think of as very Chinese--layers of frilly fabric, very short. But, as I pointed out to her, it's a style for young girls, not for old women. She agreed.

Military training was the main topic of discussion at English Corner after the freshmen returned, I learned that the students were allowed only three showers in the twelve days and had only one uniform; so they had to wear it every day without washing it. The dining hall was about a mile up a hill. They had to sing a song loudly while they waited. One student told a teacher that the boys learned to use a rifle; girls only marched. Everyone had to quickly obey commands given by the trainers. Yang told us that the philosophy (the take-home message) behind having mandatory training like this is that if students can get through this, they can get through any difficulties they may have in life.

Megan invited Roger to come for dinner and show us his photos from the military training. He is very keen on the benefits of the training. From his description, I realized that it’s like a Scout camp in the group bonding that takes place from doing difficult things together. One of his friends had a camera that he used to sneak some photos of times when students were waiting to eat. He also had photos from a professional photographer who came for the final parade and posted his photos online so students could download them. They showed the students walking in formation with their legs and arms perfectly aligned. It was fun and interesting to learn more about this experience.

All four of us foreign teachers had a meeting with the department dean and Peggie to discuss our teaching and get feedback (feedback here is criticism) from the students.  When I asked which students they talked with, we learned that they met with the class monitors and assistants who are among the best students in the classes. We were told that the students like all of us. Then the feedback was that the topics of our classes are too easy. When I asked what students want that would be more challenging, they didn’t know. I pointed out that the topics I’ve used are the ones in the book I was given to use. When it was suggested that students in written English classes may want more corrections of their work, both Katy and I chimed in about the amount of correcting we do. Overall, it wasn’t a very productive discussion. Since I’m the only one staying, it’s also rather irrelevant for the other teachers, as the term is almost over. When Michelle asked about the meeting and I told her, she said we are doing the best we can and to “never mind.” I knew I liked her.

I have been aware that the good written English students knew how to write the format of the most of the essays I’ve assigned. But I didn’t know this until I saw their work. A few weeks ago one girl told me that they had done that type of essay last year (or term, I didn’t quite understand when). It has been frustrating, but I’ve done the best I can. Oral English is OK most of the time, but students may think the topics are easy because they’ve done similar topics in high school. But I/we don’t know that, and they won’t give any such indication to us. I’m not sure the topic is important as long as they are speaking English, but they may feel differently.

Weather has been very changeable. It gets quite hot for a day or two and then gets cool again. When it’s cool, I need a sweater in the morning and long sleeves in the evening. I have the windows open at night for a couple days and then need to close them at night for several days. Chinese people think it’s very hot when I think it’s nice weather but not hot. The fans were on in the classrooms for a few days and then were off again. At least they work. (Photo: going to class on a sunny day)


Emergency shelter signs have popped up in the last couple weeks. There are also new lighted signs in classrooms that show the date and time and can show a message if one is being broadcast. Post-earthquake changes, I think.

I’ve become friendly--smiles and simple greetings--with a woman who lives across from us with her twin boys and another woman. I’d been wanting to take a photo of the boys; so when the security guard, who has seen me photographing flowers, told me to take a photo, I was happy to do so. I gave a copy to the mother, who was happy to have it. A few days ago the father was pushing the stroller in the hall. When I commented that he must be the daddy, he beamed. Katy has heard that he works in another city. The mother worked in the admin office last year and is on maternity leave this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment